Beginning with Chapter 2 in Social Studies and Science, Study guides will no longer be available on our website WITH answers already filled in. They will continue to be posted, but as blank versions. Students work on these study guides in class and should have all the right answers, I am hoping this will encourage EVERYONE to pay attention when necessary and be responsible for having the correct information…
With that said – here is the science Chapter 1 study guide! Happy Studying for Tuesday’s Test!
Science – Study Guide
Chapter 1 – Ecosystems
Everything that surrounds and affects an organism.
All the living and nonliving things that interact in an area.
A living thing.
All the members of one kind of organism in a community.
All the organisms in an ecosystem together.
An area of Earth where the temperature rarely gets very hot or very cold.
An ecosystem where it rains a lot and is hot.
An ecosystem where it is cold (snows) in the winter, and has shorter summers.
There are also pine trees there.
An ecosystem with mild winters and very dry summers. There is a lot of brush and shrubs.
An ecosystem found in warm, tropical water.
1. Name five living things in an ecosystem.
2. Name five non-living things in an ecosystem.
3. Name an organism from the…
rainforest sloth chaparral horned lizard
taiga moose ocean whale, kelp
desert tortoise river catfish, trout
4. How are the conditions in a desert different from those in a tropical rainforest? ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬It rains daily in a tropical rainforest. In the desert, it rains as little as once a year.
How are they alike? Both the desert and tropical rainforest are hot and sunny
5. How does a tree depend on non-living things in its environment?
A tree use sunlight from the sun, water from the soil, and carbon dioxide from the air to make food.
6. What would happen to an animal that lives in the open ocean zone if it was moved to the shoreline zone? Why?
The animal would probably die because its used to living in a cold dark place. It wouldn’t find its food that it is used to eating. It wouldn’t be used to the obstacles, such as rocks, either.